Tuesday, November 20, 2012

In search of a Good Book...

I am looking for something to read.  Something special.  Because I'm afraid that at the moment, my attention span has dwindled to the level of a fruit fly.  

I am not certain if this happens for other people.  Things were going swimmingly--in fact, I was in the midst of a serious book binge--when out of nowhere, nothing appealed to me anymore.  Not the many books I own and love, not the books I had just bought, none of the books I had checked out of the library (with that due date as an incentive to read them).

And it's not that I lacked good books, good escapes, or good writing/authors.

A sample of books I currently pick up, and put down after five minutes:


  • The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
  • Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh
  • Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh
  • The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
  • Night's Master by Tanith Lee
  • Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
A nice variety, I should think, of my favorite authors.  And yet....NOTHING.  

To say this is frustrating is an understatement.  Even favorite re-reads hold no appeal at the moment.  

I don't really know why.  Part of it might be where I am in my WIP: I've just begun writing about a new story, and I generally don't like to read too much in my genre during the beginning stages.  But I still read something.  

So I am at a loss.

I wonder if others have this problem, or if this is a unique situation for me?   

No comments:

Post a Comment