I am not certain if this happens for other people. Things were going swimmingly--in fact, I was in the midst of a serious book binge--when out of nowhere, nothing appealed to me anymore. Not the many books I own and love, not the books I had just bought, none of the books I had checked out of the library (with that due date as an incentive to read them).
And it's not that I lacked good books, good escapes, or good writing/authors.
A sample of books I currently pick up, and put down after five minutes:
- The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
- Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh
- Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
- Night's Master by Tanith Lee
- Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
A nice variety, I should think, of my favorite authors. And yet....NOTHING.
To say this is frustrating is an understatement. Even favorite re-reads hold no appeal at the moment.
I don't really know why. Part of it might be where I am in my WIP: I've just begun writing about a new story, and I generally don't like to read too much in my genre during the beginning stages. But I still read something.
So I am at a loss.
I wonder if others have this problem, or if this is a unique situation for me?